Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm Number 2!

(Author's Note: If this post is a bit unclear and meandering... well, sorry, I'm on drugs.)

That's right, baby. Who's the number two fedhead of all time? I am.

...According to one guy...

...Who has been in and out of my fed for over seven years...

But hey, I'm gonna gloat anyway!

That said, it got me thinking again about a topic that I have been pondering for some time, but have yet to write about. While I totally disagree with the theory that e-wrestling is somehow in mass decline, I do believe that the position of the fedhead is in decline.

So the topic du jour: What makes a good fedhead?

Now, my statement that the fedhead is in decline isn't a slight to the other fedheads out there, because I think they're top notch. However, there has been some definite turnover lately. PRIME is on its fifth fedhead in as many months, and FUSE recently changed hands, too. I think the hands both feds ended up in are very capable ones, but the fact that, at least until now, there has been a seeming lack of stability at those spots seems to indicate that something is amiss.

Frankly, I think there is a very simple explanation for it: the position of the fedhead is evolving as rapidly as the game itself, and the job is much different now than it used to be. Why? Because of how the people in the game have matured, for the most part. Maybe not matured in terms of personality, but certainly in terms of responsibility and task management. We're all older now, and people don't necessarily need a fedhead looking over their shoulder. They know what they want to write and can do it with minimal supervision. This lessens the focus on the fedhead, and therefore a fed can change leaders multiple times and still come out working just fine, as long as the on-card leadership remains solid, as it has in FUSE and PRIME.

But is the fedhead really less important? I don't think so. At the risk of making this completely self-serving, I think the fedhead remains just as important today as it ever has been, and solid leadership is crucial to having a successful fed.

Want proof? Global has come under a bit of fire lately for the presence of... certain people on their roster, and Global's fedhead James has borne the brunt of it. Yet he's managed to handle those certain people and maintain a functioning fed, so I say props to him. That central leadership is crucial, and all of the successful feds have it.

But the job certainly has changed. Back in 2001 when GCW first opened, my job description certainly was different. Go back and read any edition of Meltdown numbered 1-30, and every word you'll read was written by yours truly. Yep, I did every match, every seg, and came up with almost every idea on those shows. Nowadays members typically come up with their own details, write their own segs, and I only have to write a seg or two and one match per week.

Because of the way the people in the game are now able to act self-sufficiently, the task of the fedhead has shifted from the actual physical construction of a fed to more of a management job. And that makes it far more subtle.

Now, some former GCW members would criticize me for being far too hands-on, and I've answered that with an enthusiastic "yes, I am." Though I'm not writing entire shows any more, I try to be very involved with the production of our events. And that's important to maintaining a high quality show. In fact, a big part of the reason the GCW/PRIME show fell a bit flat is because the fedheads weren't involved enough.

Much has been said about Ron's fedheadding style, but you won't find anyone (other than the most committed Caldera worshippers, who I'm convinced do, in fact, exist) that doesn't respect what he did for the game. Ron is universally heralded as the best fedhead ever to operate, and he's the standard we should all aspire to meet, at least in terms of success if not in persona. But what made him the best exactly? Well, what made him the best is what also made him hated by so many people, and it was his hands-on, dictatorial approach.

Now, I like to think I'm not quite as dictatorial as Ron was, but I certainly have adopted some of those qualities into my style. Again, this has certainly come under fire at times, but I've never wavered from my belief that it is the right way to do things. And if you ask anyone in GCW, I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who feels I've ever actively prevented them from accomplishing what they want to accomplish.

Commenting on a previous post, Dave once dubbed my style the "hand of God approach." A bit tongue-in-cheek, but accurate. But it's not a matter of perpetuating my own little empire, as I might accuse Ron of doing. A fedhead needs to be aware of what the roster is doing so that they can coordinate those activities. Unless there is a member on the roster who routinely goes insanely above and beyond, the fedhead is the only person in a position to know precisely what everyone is doing at all times.

I haven't always been good at that. I took a very lassiez-faire approach to fedheadding in 2006, and the result wasn't pretty. GCW in 2006 was a fairly dismal place, and a big part of that was the high roster turnover we'd had. I'd brought people in from numerous different backgrounds, and the result was a fed that had several independent factions that vehemently believed their philosophy to fedding was the right one. I tried to fight it for a while, but I ended up taking a step back and attempted to let people simply do it their way.

That sounds fair, but in practice it does not work. A fed cannot be splintered like that. This is not in any way a condemnation of any one way of doing things, merely my firm belief that a fed needs one single direction for people to rally to. GCW got turned around when a lot of those dissenters left and I took back firm control and put my signature back on the fed. And again, that's not sour grapes towards anyone that disagreed with my way of doing things. The simple fact is, a fed needs one identity to be successful, and that identity needs to be embodied in the fedhead.

Ron did that better than anyone. As Pete said himself, there was never any question who was in charge and how things were going to be run. And it's true that this alienated a lot of people, but it also resulted in three of the greatest feds of all time, and carved for Ron a legacy that will last as long as this game does. That's what makes a good fedhead. A fed takes on the personality of its leaders, and the result tends to be a good one. For Global, James is extremely open and willing to give anyone a chance, and the result is a fed that is more accepting and eager than any other in PTC. FUSE is headed up by Dean, who has transformed it into a very welcoming fed with a hot, up-and-coming feel (even though they've already arrived). While I won't presume to label Matt when I don't quite have the background to do so, I do know Lindz, and she seems to emphasize precision, and the result is perhaps the most well-oiled fed around.

As for GCW, I'll leave that to the readers to label.

But the point is, all those feds have strong central leadership and a clear identity to go along with it. And all the best feds in history can be traced back to the people that ran them. Obviously this is not a slight to the people in them, because a fed can only be as good as the roster makes it. It's the members that drive a fed from potentially good to actually great. But the place of the fedhead has perhaps lost some emphasis in the modern incarnation of the game, and it deserves a bit of attention again.

I'm aware that there are a good number of people who disagree with my philosophy, but I think that anyone who still thinks I'm wrong is missing the point. Because the philosophy here isn't that my way is best, but simply that a fed needs to pick a way and go with it. If that means lots of freedom for the roster and just small guidance from the fedhead, that's fine and it can work (see tSC). If that means the total opposite, that can also work. But what those great fedheads Pete listed have in common is the fact that they have a clear philosophy and they're unwavering in their implementation of it.

But don't let me preach to you, oh reader. Please, leave a comment and let us know what qualities you admire in a fedhead, and what your perfect leader would be (assuming, of course, you're not in GCW and don't know that the perfect leader is me).

No comments: